Monday, November 08, 2004

Birthday...

This post should have been hammered out on Saturday - but the next post will tell you why that didn't happen :)

Friday I turned 26. So, far, each year I became older, the feeling was one of total joy. I was in the phase where I looked forward to being an older person, being more mature, wiser. Somewhere, a part of me thought that with age & experience, one gets a better grip on deciding one's destiny. This birthday was very different. For the first time, there was a small part of me that was unhappy about becoming a year older. There was a realization that I wouldn't be 25 again - never again. Some people may say it is a fact of life - well, for once, I actually thought hard about this.

This birthday ranked up there among one of the best days I have had. At Tuck, your birthday is featured in everybody's Outlook calendar and the intranet site. So, EVERYBODY knows that it is your birthday. And considering that I know a large part of the class by now - there wasn't a time Iwalked 10 metres without somebody wishing me :) - It kind of feels good.

That evening, a bunch of friends had organized a small party at an Indian restaurant. Had a great time. By the time I retired to bed early next day, I was literally floating with joy of a nice birthday celebration.

--------
The week that preceded the birthday was awesome too. We had the CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi speak to us. Among other things, he spoke about Lovemarks (not what you think them to be ;-) ). Kevin Roberts is one of the best speakers I have heard. Having worked for a marketing powerhouse before, I understand the value of brands. The concept of Lovemarks took branding to a whole new level and I agee that in the future these will capture disproportionate share of the wallet.

--------
During the past week I also met up with some fund managers - one person with a goliath and one person who started his own shop sometime ago. Most people have been extremely bullish about Indian IT, but the passion I saw about the Indian pharma story was surprising. For the record, I am extremely bullish on Indian healthcare (incl. pharma) and feel that there is huge shareholder value to be created across the chain - from R&D to generics to clinical research to administering healthcare.