Monday, October 04, 2004

Ice Hockey & some relaxation..

We had Friday and Saturday and Sunday off! Getting 3 days of 'holidays' is a major stress release. Just thinking about it made me happy - and now it is all over, I am happy I had a great time.

Last night we had the first ice hockey practice session. Before coming to Tuck I had not even rollerbladed not to speak of skated on ice. So, it was a very exciting new experience. The first session was good (held at an absolutely unearthly hour of midnight!). I am able to balance myself on skates and get moving. Many second year students were helping us learn. There were some who hadn't skated before and now skated like they could be part of the Dartmouth hockey team. So, I am inspired to put my best foot forward.

Ice skating and by extension hockey is a very strenous sport. Last night I spent just over 15 mins actually skating and my clothes were soaked in sweat (yeah - on a frozen skating rink!). Guess I have found the elliptical trainer replacement for winter!

Saturday we had a scavenger hunt. The objective being to help the first and second years know each other better. Scavenger hunt @ Tuck consists of lots of small games and challenges that second years put together. To qualify as a game or a challenge, an essential component is - Beer!

Saturday night I attended the Chinese Moon Festival, listened to Chinese songs and ate moon cake. Sometime next year I hope to make a trip to China to get a first hand feel of what is taking place there.

Friday was the 'shop till you drop' day. We went over to Wretham Premium Outlet mall and picked up loads of winter clothes. Jackets, fleece etc. Then we had some malaysian food at Penang (Harvard square Boston) and ice cream at Tossinini's (sp?). When I got back at 2 am - I was sure it was among the most enjoyable leisure days I had spent here.

The week is beginning - so it is time to put my nose back to the grinding wheel. 1 exam, a dinner with a visiting executive and lots of corporate presentations + hockey will form the week ahead.

Au revoir.