Friday, September 17, 2004

Getting into the groove...

The human mind is an amazing piece of engineering! After having been out of school for over 4 years, I thought it will take a really long time for me to get back into the active learning mode. Here I am, day 4 of week 2 - I can almost see myself getting back into the the student mindset.

The week so far has been hectic (isn't that getting stale!!). Corporate presentations have started - Consulting firms, Investment Banks and good ole manufacturing/marketing companies are holding hour long presentations saying how theirs is the best company to work for. Some people sound more genuine than others though :)

Just a week ago, I was sure what I wanted to do. Now, after lots of talking with friends and interacting with recruiters I am less sure about it. People say these presentations help you clarify your goals. They have only helped confuse me.

The party scene seems to be rocking. There is a concept of a social chair - somebody who takes responsibility to ensure that any night anybody wants to party - there is something happening. And there is a quality of life chair who ensures that we lead a balanced life and do some studying to round off the experience.

On my part, I haven't been partying too much (2 days a week isn’t too much!) Just this morning, I was discussing with my professor the way I seem to have changed in the last 4 weeks. She attributed it to the fact that since I was in a different country, different culture amidst a different set of people, becoming a bit introverted was the mind's protection mechanism. It would just be a matter of time before I get to a state of mind I am comfortable with, but I should be conscious that I will probably never be the old me again! These words could be cast in stone. They are so true!

Time is flying by so fast – at times I feel helpless to just watch it slip away. Every moment I am making choices – right now, I could be typing this, writing emails to friends in India, speaking on the phone to friends in the West Coast, reading today’s newspapers or reading a book I borrowed from the library. Of course, I could be playing ping pong or be partying at today’s late night party spot. (Almost each night there seems to be a different place where the Tuck crowd lands up!)

At times I just sit and wonder what a change there has been to life. Just a month ago, I was having a great time at home. Lying on my bed with remote controls for the music system and TV by my side, I could be the mascot for the urban tribe called couch potatoes. And now, the only TV I watch is when I am working out at the gym.

C’est la vie!