Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Friends, Farewells & Goodbyes...

'To meet and depart is the way of life. But to depart & meet is the hope of life. We meet to create memories, but we depart to preserve them. That's life!' - This was an SMS sent to me by one of my friends bidding me goodbye and wishing me a happy journey. I just stood back and reflected on this . The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

The past few days have been really tough on me. Though I am not of the sentimental variety, I treasure my friends and friendships. So, a geographical displacement of the kind I am undertaking is especially daunting. However, I have tried my best to rein in my emotions. It is only now that the implications of going away to study is sinking into me. I tell myself that it is all for good.

There are different types of friends. Morbid though my analysis may sound, here goes - with malice towards none.

There are best friends - people who you can entrust your will to, with the assurance that they will execute it perfectly. They stand with you regardless of rain or sunshine and the faith in the relationship does not need to be articulated.

Then there are good friends. People with whom there is a great degree of comfort and trust. They are the kind who will attend your funeral inspite of the fact that you no longer exist.

Finally, there are friends. You could put in this category people with whom you hang out - because you have something in common. It could be a workplace, an activity or an education that you have shared. Friends are happy to be with you when you are around. So, you will find them in your birthday parties, but not at your funeral :).

Then there are acquaintances. Essentially, just like rest of the world - except that unlike John Doe, the two of you actually know each other!

I consider myself very fortunate when it comes to friendships. I happen to have more than my fair share of good friends and best friends. I pray to God that distance and time not impact these relationships and may they only strengthen over time.

This evening, I visited my mentor. It has been over 8 years since I last saw him. Felt good. If not for him, I wouldn't have gone to BITS, Pilani for my undergrad. Also, I wouldn't be writing this blog!

Coming to think of it, everytime I have been faced by a dilemma, be it professional or personal, I have ended up discussing them with people I trust. Subsequently, I have never regretted the decisions I have taken.

But again, everybody is not so fortunate as to be in the company of awesome friends!!