Saturday, August 14, 2004

Don't date too many girls..

I would have expected my mom or somebody older than her to give me this advice. But, coming from my 8 year old 'twin', it was a surprising commentary on the kids of today. More about the family farewell to me later in the post!

Today was an awesome day. As the countdown to Tuck has begun, each day is turning out to be more memorable than the other. It started off with me crossing the mass of humanity, concrete and greenery called City of Bangalore to land up at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIM-B). A friend from work showed me around the beautiful green campus. He is attending B-school after 5 years of work and seemed to be managing the transition very well. Met up with a couple of friends with whom I had been interacting only on the net. Was nice to put a face to their names, but time pressures ensured that it was just that!

I reached IIM-B 30 mins behind schedule - and that delay carried on across the day to my last gathering! Time management is a skill I need to learn - and quickly :)

My former boss bid farewell to me with a lunch at Little Italy, a nice Italian (what else!) place at Indiranagar. Got to understand the difference between tagliatelle, macaroni, penne, cannelloni, fusilli. While I know the difference in forms now - I am not sure how they impact the food. Eg - How is dish B-15 (coz I don't remember the name of the dish!) with tagliatelle different from B-15 with penne? If you know, or can direct me to some gyaan on this, pls drop me an email/write it in the comments below.

Next stop was a BITSian friends house. A couple of other friends who are applying to B school next year had also come. Didn't know how the 2 hours passed! Would have loved to stay on for longer, but I was already running late for my next meeting!! Another B school applicant, more shop talk and I was off for the family farewell at a club.

We were one huge bunch of first and second cousins, uncles and aunties from the paternal side of the family. The evening was fun. I was presented a nice picture book on the families with a photo of me as a 1 year old kid on the cover! Then everybody present gave me advice for my upcoming trip. Advice ranged from - " Don't date too many girls " to "Come back and serve the country" to "If you want good food - Get married". There were gems like "Don't take too much advice" and "Do what you want to do". Dinner followed by a round of ice cream - and we returned home.

Last night's was the trek group farewell. Went to the lovely Eden Park. I am sad that this particular group of us got together just a couple of weeks ago to trek as a group. We could have done a few more treks if we realized all of us enjoy each other's company and temperaments. I hope there will be such times in the future again!

It is just past midnight. Happy Independance Day!