Sunday, August 22, 2004

First day at Tuck... Settling down

Right from the moment I shifted luggage into my room at Buchanan Hall yesterday evening, there hasn't been a dull moment. After unpacking and having a shower, a bunch of us went over to a local pub for dinner. The Bud Light added to the wine, vodka and cognac I had on the flight - and made my jetlag disappear rather soon.

I met so many future classmates that I can remember names and faces only of about 20 people now. Am sure over the next few days, I will get to know more.

Tuck'06 is made up of people from all over the world. Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, China, Chile, India, Mexico, Peru, Britain, Korea! Just learning about these cultures will be magnificent.

Last night, a classmate took me around the Tuck facilities. I came away very impressed. Am hoping that I make good use of the facilities here.

Today I got my laptop - an IBM T-41. The day was sunny and a friend took drove me over to the computer store. We then picked up some stuff at Walmart. A footlong at Subway put our growling stomachs to rest. I asked for a large cola - didn't know that a large cola is 1 litre - and then drank it without realizing it :).

Later in the afternoon, we landed up at Sachem village at another friend's house and spent the evening talking away - with topics ranging from the monetary threshold for retirement, the energy of the city of Mumbai (almost all of us had spent significant amounts of time working in Mumbai and liked the city). Of course, the fact that we got hot chai fuelled the conversation. Before we knew, it was evening and time to return to our dormitories.

The more I see of Tuck, Dartmouth and Hanover, the more I like the place. Hanover is a small college town - with almost everybody connected with Dartmouth in some way. For those of you who don't know, Dartmouth is a small Ivy League university that has a history dating back to 1769. It is home to the oldest graduate school of engineering.

Tomorrow morning, I leave for outward bound - a weeklong sailing trip in the Maine bay area. Am looking forward to it!