Sunday, August 22, 2004

The trip to Hanover, NH

I left home @ Bangalore on the morning of 18th. For once, the sadness of leaving home was more than the excitement of going through a new experience. Our domestic help of many years gave a teary farewell. Uncle, aunty, dad, sister and grandmom had all come to see me off at the airport. A close friend also woke up really early to see me off. Thus, with a heavy heart I bade goodbye to good old Bangalore.

The trip to Mumbai was good. Like I had planned, the 90 minute trip gave me quality time with my mother - so we were able to review the tumult of the last few months.

Mumbai was warm and humid as usual. Thankfully, the work that I had planned for the day went out very smoothly. Was also able to meet up with somebody I had been speaking to for months - but had never met) for coffee. This after a confusion between the Barista @ Shivaji Park and the Coffee Day @ SiddhiVinayak. This was followed by a dinner and conversation with another longtime friend.

Friday was rather uneventful. Watched 'Kyon Ho Gaya Na...' with my cousin. After receiving blessings at SiddhiVinayak I was ready to cross the seas and the oceans!

The trip by itself went off very smoothly. We took the Dartmouth Coach from Logan Airport (Boston) to Hanover. The bus dropped us off about 500 metres from our dormitory and we were faced with the unenviable task of dragging 80 kilos of luggage. A resident who noticed us getting off the bus insisted that she drop us off and got her car. The people around here are so friendly!

By the look of it, I am going to enjoy living here and intend being an active member of the local community.