Tuesday, September 07, 2004

First day of classes...

Today was the first day of classes. I can't believe I came here just over 2 weeks ago. Feels like ages. Our study group met a couple of times (each time we spent about 3 hours!) to prepare for today's class. The output from the group was quite good. The class ofcourse was fantabulous. The very first course at Tuck - and it is a General Management course.

We also had a course on Leading Organizations. Pretty interesting too.

Later today, we had the first of the 'Sector Smarts'. Alumni coming down to Tuck and participating in panels about life in their respective careers. I attended the ones on Finance and Marketing. The Finance panel was very interesting (probably because I want to work in Finance). There were a couple of people from hedge funds and the third person worked for a middle market venture capital firm.

When I was applying to Tuck, everybody I spoke to told me about how the small size of the school ensured access to people - alumni, faculty and administration. While I didn't give this factor much weightage when I chose the school, today I saw what people meant by access.

I was able to spend subtantial time (one-on-one) with the alumni in hedge funds. This gave me an opportunity to bounce off them my ideas on what kind of an internship/job I wanted to look for, how I should market myself for that job, the dynamics in the marketplace etc. And today is just the first day of class!

The Labor day weekend that went by was nice. Made a trip to Boston on Sunday. Lovely city. Did a walking tour of the Freedom Trail. Learnt some nuggets of American History. I will try and audit a course on American History at Dartmouth coz that is something that interests me.

The last few days I have been able to exercise at the gym daily. The exercise routine has almost fallen in place. Hope I am able to take time off consistently and exercise.

Career search seems to be a huge part of life at business school. This afternoon when I opened my mailbox I had a folder from a top consulting firm with promotional material giving details of the presentation they have on campus in a few days and a shirt from an I Bank. The T shirt says Tuck nice and bold on the front. So, I guess a lot of us will be wearing this very often! Am hoping for more goodies from the other recruiters ;-). Each morning we get copies of Financial Times and the Wall Street Journal - thanks to other sponsors.

I wish somebody could sponsor and get me an extra 4 hours in my day - that would be AWESOME!