Monday, October 11, 2004

Dinners, Lunches, Parties and Hockey!

Friday night, a huge group of us landed up at Moosilauke Lodge. The drive there was beautiful. The trees had various hues and the hills looked colorful. And to think in just a few weeks, they will all be bare :(. The overnight trip gave a good chance for us to let our hair down after a very hectic week. The fact that we had received our marked accounting exams earlier that afternoon brought a sense of urgency to escape from Hanover.

The party that followed dinner was rather wild and went on into the wee hours of the morning. It seemed like people wanted to turn back time and be back in their undergrad days. I chose to get to bed early to catch up on some much needed sleep.

The drive back the next day was thought provoking. Well, it wasn't the drive but the conversation that got me thinking. There have been times where I have chosen easy proxies as filters for my mind - and a couple of friends encouraged me to scrutinize them hard. And scrutinize them I will - but it will be a long drawn process. I consider myself fortunate to be in the company of super smart people who really care!

During the week I had lunch and dinner with a couple of visiting executives. Tuck has this program called Alan Smith Visiting Executive Program. Most executives who visit Tuck make themselves available for lunch/dinner/office hours/round table. So I had lunch with the treasurer of a telecom company and an executive who leads the strategy function in a high tech company. Each of them told us about their professional life, the decisions they made. It made for a very insightful discussion. Then we had this round table with an alum from an investment bank. So, we could ask any questions we wanted - in a non-evaluative environment.

Hockey continues at a frenetic pace. Like all things @ Tuck, the learning curve is steep. We played our first game on Thursday. My skating skills (or the lack of them) require me to play defense. The drafts took place on Thursday and we will be practicing for the playoffs soon. If i continue learning at this rate, I can probably represent India in the next Winter Olympics ;-).

A couple of days ago, I felt the need to listen to local radio - Radiocity from my city, Bangalore. There was no internet feed - so I got my sister to play it to me across the internet from home! It transported me back home for a short while! Small pleasures make life so wonderful :)

Then a friend told me of an Internet Radio from UAE - and from now on - it will rule the airwaves in my corner of the world. Chaaye Chaaye - the singers from Strings croon. A perfect lullaby to put me to sleep after a long day.