Saturday, October 16, 2004

The spark!

It happens to all of us at different times, in different situations. You meet somebody. And a few minutes into the interaction, you can almost predict the words the person is speaking. The passion and enthusiasm the person exudes is infectious. You hang on to every word. Mentally, you can already see the connection. Just interacting feels good. You want to know more and more. The more you know - the more you feel your initial impression was right. Is it reflexivity at work? Then you see another and then another. You feel elated. Almost ecstatic!!

No - I am not talking about love here!! For from it, I am talking serious career stuff. A firm made a presentation last week - and I think I just loved what I saw and heard. While it throws my proposed career plan off course (completely!), I think this is one of the times when I am gonna trust my gut. So, the next few weeks, I am going to research trading as a career. Since I am the kind who puts my money where my mouth is and the best way to see whether trading is right for you is to be a trader, I plan to test drive it for atleast 2 months before my intership interviews. Will keep you updated on the progress. As of now, I can appreciate the difference between risk averseness and risk control.

The past week was fun. As I speak to my friends at other business schools, I get a sense of the difference in experience I am having. Most people seem to be studying really hard, horribly stressed out and lacking an active social life. On the other hand, I am able to participate in sport (okay - only ice hockey and agreed I get to hit the puck once during the game - but atleast that!!), be an active member of multiple clubs, party occasionally (down from frequently) and do some studies to boot.

This morning we had the day of service. A group of us helped put up the dry wall at the house of a needy person. Learnt something about how houses are insulated in cold Vermont. As always, felt good about giving back in a small way to the community I am part of. We were discussing what surprised each of us about Tuck - and a couple of us thought the fact that the place is exactly what it is made out to be, without any exaggeration is the surprising aspect of the school.

Watched Old School last night. Hilarious comedy. Missed the third debate. Am looking forward to the elections. They are very closely fought. I don't have any favourites - and like parts of each candidate's platform.