Thursday, October 21, 2004

The moment of truth!

I had been evading it for almost 3 weeks. At first I thought it didn't matter. Then it was denial - that it wouldn't happen to me. I was okay, I told myself. Yesterday I faced reality. In under 3 weeks, I had gained 4 pounds! Just before I got on the elliptical trainer yesterday, I found out that I was throwing around more weight than I had bargained for :(

Before I put my feet on the scale, I was quite confident that the sporadic hockey games and the last two days of intense squash games would tilt the scales in my favor. But, it was not to be!

The cans of cola, the fried food, ripple chips dipped in all kinds of fatty dips, bars of Snickers - were all conspiring against me. At 144 pounds, I am not fat by any stretch of imagination, but reading New Market Wizards for 4 days has made me acutely aware of momentum and the havoc it can wreak.

Now I realize the deception behind calories. 140 calories make a can of Coke. And you just can't believe how quickly you can drink that sugar laden carbonated liquid. It took me 20 sweaty minutes (with my heavier self!) on the trainer to burn 210 calories. So, from today - no more cola. Just plain water - thank you. Occasionally, I will permit myself the luxury of having iced water.

Later this evening, I went to BJ's to do some shopping. And guess what I got - a large box of Snickers (48 bars) and a large box of cookies (36 packs of 2 servings of 4 small cookies each). I tell myself I will take till the end of January to run through these. How long do you think they will last ?