Friday, June 10, 2005

Summer Internship!

The last week of school saw me running around like a headless chicken, scampering to get so many different things done.

On Thursday morning, a friend took me along to Concorde (a full 1 hour away!) for my driving test. I passed the written exam but failed the road test. Before the test I had practiced for a whole hour (thanks to another friend). I will go back in September and retake the road test.

Last week also saw me clear out of my dorms. I needed to get a ton of packing and moving done. I am amazed by the quantity of crap I had accumulated in under a year. I grossly underestimated the time I needed for packing. Again, friends stepped in and helped out tremendously to make sure I don't leave anything behind. I cannot thank each of them sufficiently for pitching in.

Finally, Saturday saw me take my CFA Level II exam. Early and bright (and woefully underprepared), a friend drove me to Montpelier for the exam. It was a long drive - but the constant coversation kept my mind off the exam. A big thanks to her for giving me a ride! The exam went off better than I expected. There is an outside chance that I may pass the exam :)

Sunday was the day I was moving to New York. I decided not to take a flight but instead drive down. I don't have a driving license, so my apartmentmate drove down with me. We got a Volvo XC (a huge, safe SUV) and loaded it up with all our stuff. Since we would be in NYC for a while, we took with us all those small things that make an apartment liveable. (Lamps, kitchen utensils etc.). En route, we stopped at a mall for more shopping. I must mention that the Hertz NeverLost GPS software rocks. We had no idea where to find a shopping mall and the software mapped out a route for us.

By Sunday night, I was all tired but had settled into my apartment. I am living in the West Village. It is a nice part of Downtown Manhattan. From my bedroom window I can see the Empire State Building. My block has atleast 20 restaurants - including Ethiopian, Mexican, Italian and Lebanese. Falafel, Hummus and Babaghanoosh have been my staple for the last few days :-D.

Monday, I started off on my internship. Though I would love to give details of the program, I have chosen not to. This will prevent any issues in terms of confidentiality. So, for the next 10 weeks, my blog will have lots of details of my life but sparse details of my work. I will

A couple of days ago, I went for a run by the riverside (Battery Park City). Running by the river side feels really good. I must do it more often. Last night, I had dinner with a friend at Baluchi's. Baluchi's is a chain of nice Indian restaurants in NYC. We hadn't seen each other for almost 5 years. We actually got in touch a few months ago when he was in NYC on work. I have him and destiny to thank for a major life event I am looking forward to!!

Weekend plans - meeting more friends and some family.