Sunday, March 13, 2005

End of Winter Term!!

It has been a rough 2 weeks, but I am glad I am done with Winter term 2005. The last couple of weeks were intense, with project presentations, report submissions and final exams.

My study group decided to split up and tackle the strategy and marketing projects in mini groups of 3 each. I chose to work on the marketing project. Diapers isn't the most exciting product category for a marketing project, but I must say I learnt a lot during the course of the project. It has been a while (~25 years) since I have been out of a diaper, so this wasn't a product I could relate to. And nobody in my study group has kids around. We had to develop an understanding of the category from the scratch. We hit the store aisles, spoke to mothers of toddlers and did a boatload of research to get some insights on how we were going to sell diapers better. The final presentation went off well and we got a positive response from the folks whose daily job it is to market these solutions :-D

In 30 hours, I took 3 exams. Debt Markets (4 hours), Strategy (4 hours) and Corporate Finance (3 hours). Of these 3, 2 were take home exams and I chose (rather foolishly) to put off taking the exams till the last moment. Only after the exams were done with did I realize the intensity of pressure I was taking on myself.

Winter term has been good. We got some good snow but it hasn't been very cold. I had an awesome study group. We probably spent 3 hours per meeting (meeting 4 days a week) but all of us thoroughly enjoyed working together. Over the term as a study group we have accomplished tasks like choosing a Mark Jacobs bag, designing a perfect engagement ring, compared car washes between LA and NH :-D. Of course, none of this is even tangentially related to course work. But again, who said study groups exist only to complete homework and prepare for class??

Now with the exams done with, I am looking forward to Spring Break. This morning I went around Hanover with a couple of friends I used to work with pre-Tuck. We took loads of pictures of the town even as it was snowing. Then we went sledding. It is fun. I wonder why I didn't do that before. Next year, I am going to enjoy the winter much more. Hockey, skiing, sledding - EVERYTHING.

Next stop - New Delhi for a friend's wedding!