Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Valentine Day!

Yesterday was Valentine's Day.

While I didn't have a date for the evening, I had a really wonderful evening :). I had dinner with a Visiting Executive from a large commodity company. Over the last few months I have had tons of visiting executive lunches/dinners - with people ranging from hedge fund managers and telecom executives to thought leaders in consulting and high tech pioneers. But, yesterday's dinner was among the most interesting of all these.

The discussion was free ranging and covered a range of subjects. Some of them were the concept of a premium conglomerate/discount conglomerate, genetically modified foods, orange juice industry in Brazil, need for traceability in the food chain, why India is a wonderful investment destination. We also spoke about specific pathogen free livestock, why wild salmon is better than farmed salmon and debated whether palm oil would replace soybean oil as the oil of the future.

Some of the people at the table were second years I hadn't interacted with. One complaint I have about the last few months is that I have not been able to know a large part of the second year class. I probably have interacted with 30-40% of them. But there are so many fascinating people I don't know. May be it is because I am not into drinking so much. Among business schools, Tuck probably ranks on the absolute top if per capita alcohol consumption is the metric. Like a friend was commenting the other day, the student population is a bunch of 30 year olds behaving like 18 year olds without any thought about the consequences. I am not complaining about this and am guilty of being part of the revelry that is Tuck! There is a whole lifetime ahead of us where we need to behave our age.