Sunday, December 19, 2004

End of Fall B...

Finished one exam today. One more to go on Tuesday.

I will be done with Fall B. The toughest academic part of the program will be behind me. Next term there is a reshuffle of sections. So, we all get new bunch of people to attend class with. I don't know all of 9 people in my new section of 65 :)

I will miss my old section and study group though. We had some great times as a group and I hope my study group for next term is equally fun.

The courses next term are quite exciting. Marketing, Corporate Finance, Global Economics for Managers, Strategy are the core courses. I have taken on an extra course - Debt Markets. It is an elective and I am the only first year in the class. Given my love for Finance, I think I will enjoy the course.

Earlier this week, when I was wining and dining with a recruiter in Boston, I was talking about how the integrated core at Tuck seemed to be restricting me from pursuing courses in my area of interest. And, I come back and these options open up. Magical!

Talking of wining & dining, I have begun to enjoy these networking events. The range of discussions I have had in these are phenomenal. Like last week's dinner we talked about topics ranging from the challenges of getting your kid into a school in NYC to effects of shifting cities on a child's mind. The human side of the firm I guess :) .

A couple of weeks ago, I was chatting up with a banker who was complaining about how India is an over banked market (in investment banking terms). He handled a couple of PSU deals and was cribbing about the wafer thin margins! I thought people were in favor of free trade and open markets!