Saturday, December 11, 2004

Winds of change....

I have been thinking hard. Very hard. About life. About me. About where my life is going. An idle mind is a devil's workshop :)

I have been speaking to people, getting their perspectives on life, on stuff that matters and stuff that doesn't. A process of self discovery has set in. I am encouraged to think more. Think harder. Push the limits of my mind. And now, it looks like some of the barricades I had set for myself do not exist any longer. They are antiquated. They remain there because there has been no wind to blow them away. It doesn't need a forceful gale but a slight breeze will be sufficient. What better time for the wind of change to blow than now!

The past week was great. We won a case competition that had a sweet cash prize. We were the only two member team in a field full of four member teams. We came in second but weren't a bit disappointed.

The networking process for recruiting continues in full force. I have realized I am super flexible in terms of what I want to do for the summer. Anytime a firm makes a pitch for a job, I want to know more about it. So, when somebody at the top of the totem pole thinks you will do well as part of his team, I am inclined to explore that option more. As I head into recruiting, I think these occasions will occur more frequently.

The best part about business school is the kind of options that come at you. This is also the worst part about school because making choices is difficult. Choices come at you in all spheres of your life - personal and professional. And, in most cases, you would not have been exposed to these areas. How does one decide between consulting and trading?

On the school front, I have decided to let my super short hair down a bit (No - I am not going to grow a mullet!). There are so many things to do, so many parties to attend, such a lot of good times to be had. "20 years from now, what will I remember ?" I will apply this test when faced with school activity choices! This test seems to have worked for most alumni I have spoken to :)

The direction of the US economy and the dollar exchange rate are areas that I have been following keenly. I have been bearish on the dollar for sometime now, and even more so currently. A few information sources that add weight to my view are

http://www.morganstanley.com/GEFdata/digests/latest-digest.html
http://www.roubiniglobal.com/
http://www.roubiniglobal.com/setser/

Catching up with friends I haven't spoken to in ages continues. Just finished an hour long talk with a friend I haven't seen in five years. I am constantly amazed by the number of my friends who are in this part of the globe. I could visit each of them for a day and spend a year!!

Tuck admissions for the class of 2007 are in progress. I look forward to interacting with people of the class and sharing with them the great time I have been having here!