Thursday, December 30, 2004

Winter break...

It seems like Winter break started yesterday and it is almost over :-(. Time seems to fly faster when you are just relaxing and having a good time.

When the break started, I didn't have much planned for the break. In one corner of my mind, I was concerned that I would be bored. But it wasn't to be. A couple of days into the break, I went over to a friend's house. The 4 days I spent there was the most relaxing time I ever had. Absolute laziness. Great food. Awesome company.

On day 1, we went to Boston, watched Swades and had a nice meal at an Indian restaurant. I had a fine Mysore Masala Dosa. While I continue to hold that Vidyarthi Bhavan makes the best masala dosas in the world, this dosa tasted great coz it had been sometime since I ate a dosa.

On day 2, we went to New York City to check out the Christmas festivities. The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center, the gazillion tourists all clicking away(is it because the marginal cost of a picture taken with a digital camera is zero?). New York City on Christmas day felt nice. I love the city coz it reminds me so much of Mumbai.

On day 3, we lazed around, did some shopping. I got access to a well stocked kitchen (few kitchens have mint chutney & tamarind extract in the fridge). So, I was able to try my hand at some cooking. I made Paneer Makhanwala using some readymade masala and tofu as a substitute for paneer. The end result tasted good - so I am enthusiastic about cooking when I move into a house off campus next year.

Day 4 saw me at my lazy best. I had breakfast and lunch with less than an hour's gap! As the day turned into night, we returned to Hanover. I showed my friend and his wife around the beautiful school and my shoddily kept dorm room. 4 days passed by without me noticing the passage of time :(.

For the last few days life has been routine. The day is arranged around 4 super-important components. Lunch, Dinner, Gym and Movie. The maximum mental strain is in deciding where we will go for lunch/dinner, what time we will hit the gym and which movie we will watch in our private theatre!

I just wish this break doesn't end.