Wednesday, December 22, 2004

It is over!

I am delighted to be done with the Fall terms. The hardest part of the curriculum is behind us. Yesterday was the last exam. After the exam we had a farewell of sorts in the auditorium.

The sendoff started with a skit starring a wildly popular professor. The professor's performance compared favorably with any stand up comic. The humor through the skit had the whole class in splits. There was even a clip from Mohabbatein woven into the skit. The way faculty, administration, students and partners form one cohesive community amazes me. Never before have I seen faculty members so involved in activities outside of teaching/research.

Subsequently, we had a presentation that put together snippets of different social events through the two terms. When I looked at it, I realized we probably had some organized social event every week! No wonder school is so much fun :)

Today was the first day of winter break. After spending the first half of the day nursing a headache (after the celebrations of yesterday!), I got around to catching up on some email. spoke to some friends and before I knew it, I was bored! The intensity of life here had gotten into my blood in a way I did not realize. Hopefully, over the next 10 days, I will relax a bit. It takes some learning, but I hope to manage.

Since I do not have much planned for the break, a couple of us decided to go down to New York for a few days. Initially, the plan was to spend a couple of days there next week. But we changed that and decided to spend the first few days of the next year in the city. With room reservations done, we just need to fix up meetings with some firms we want to network with. 2 days of fun and 2 days of business. Brilliant combination.

The next few days, I am looking forward to watching tons of movies. One of us got an idea that we should watch a movie on a big screen with good sound systems in an amphitheatre style classroom. We had hoped to get permission for watching one movie today, but ended up getting the keys for the period of the break. This evening we watched Mumbai Matinee. There are quite a few movies lined up for the next few days.

Last evening, I watched Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge at the second of the three celebrations during the evening. It is probably the 10th or 15th time I have watched the movie.

The next few days, I look forward to a much slower pace of life. I will rest, catch my breath and look at the beautiful snow covered world around me. Ah...