Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Spring!

“Mirror, mirror on the wall, which term’s sickest term of them all?” asked the trembling Tuckie. “Why SPRING of course” replied the magical mirror with a rogueish wink. As spring term gets underway, we urge you all to remember the words immortalized by Edward Tuck as he ceremoniously trowelled the final brick of Tuck Hall into position:

"Too much work
And not enough play,
Makes a Tuckie into
A Harvard MBA"

Hanover, c1900

Thus started the mail from our social chairs when spring term started. And spring term so far has been wickedly fun. I am taking three courses (Advanced Corporate Finance, Managerial Accounting and Operations). Fortunately, I was able to get an exemption from a core course Strategic Analysis of Technology. Another course on technology and my geek number would hit 100 :). The courses are quite varied in their content, teaching style and workload. Advanced Corporate Finance requires us to read research literature (the kind published in Journal of Finance) about topics ranging from IPO underpricing to capital structure issues. While I like the course, I am pretty certain I won't be pursuing a Ph.D in a hurry! Managerial Accounting and Operations are more conventional - Managerial Accounting is taught in a problem solving method and Operations is case based. We are also doing some work for a technology start up for our leadership forum project.

So much for the boring stuff!

The weather outside is beautiful. I am playing squash on week day afternoons. The bunch of classmates I am playing with has expanded and there is more heterogeneity in skill levels. More often than not, you will find me running around the court like a headless chicken while my opponent is smugly hugging the T. It had been a while since I worked out - so have begun exercising again.

The admitted students weekend begins tomorrow. All of us are gearing up to welcome members of the incoming class and give them glimpses of our life here. We are having an Indian table at the food festival and making food for 50 people. I am also helping host a dinner at a friend's house on Friday and going out with a bunch of admitted students on Saturday. Sunday, we try to get our wicked lives back into shape and get ready for the week ahead!

When I look at my calendar, I am surprised at how fast time seems to slip away. Just a week ago, my calendar for this week had tons of white space. And now, if somebody asks me can we meet up sometime, my first reaction is "Can this wait till next week?" As I peer into my summer, I realize I am already making plans for the weekends in June & July!

Oh yeah, the talk of summer reminds me that I need to find a second internship. My first internship (10 weeks, Sales & Trading on Wall Street) finishes mid August. School starts mid September. I want/need to be India in the interim. I don't know which city I need be in. This is one of those happy things when you don't mind not having certainty. I am going about getting leads on possible internships. I kickstarted the hunt after a conversation with a Tuckie (who graduated more than 10 years ago). My areas of interest for the internship encompass Real Estate/Hedge Funds/Venture Capital/Strategy for technology companies. If you come by any such opportunity - pls drop me a note!

In just 6 weeks, the term will be over. The wheels of time are really moving fast. But, till spring turns into summer, I plan to have a good time. And to quote our social chairs again, let me go back to "getting happier than a tree frog having its toes licked."