Wednesday, March 16, 2005

New Delhi....

I came in to Delhi late on Monday night. The journey was pretty good. A friend drove me to the Boston airport. Since it has snowed the previous day, I made sure we left sufficiently in advance and subsequently had a lot of free time at the airport. Was able to use the time to catch up with some friends.

The flight itself was rather uneventful. Flew Air France and had a connection at CDG. I reached Delhi on time and was in bed a little past midnight. I wasn't mentally prepared for the jet lag. I woke up very hungry at 5:30!! I then realized that it was dinner time for my poor stomach :( . A bar of Snickers did the trick and I got a couple of hours of sleep.

It feels great to be back. The familiar sights, sounds and smells. I heard more people using their horns during my 1 hour ride from airport to guest house that I had heard during the last 6 months. Somebody needs to educate people in the US that it is not impolite to use the horn. :)

On Tuesday I hung out briefly at the bridegroom's house. Met his family. Over the last 6 months I had heard so much about each of them, it was nice to put a face to each person. Beagle - the dog was the only family member I hadn't heard about.

After some shopping at Delhi Haat, I went across to meet some friends from undergrad at Gurgaon. It has been a year since I visited Delhi last. The development in Gurgaon has to been seen to be believed. The city is teeming with swanky malls. The brands on sale could easily make you believe you are actually in a city in the western hemisphere. I don't know whether the shops are actually making money, but the mall developers are surely laughing all the way to the bank. I plan to return to the malls to spend some time looking around.

Catching up with friends felt great. I had not met one of them for over five years and had not seen the other two for over 2 years. We talked and talked and talked - and before we knew it, it had been 5 hours!! One of my friend's had brought his wife along. She must be a really patient person to listen to so much of talk about people she doesn't know!

The trip has been so busy that I have decided not to proof read/spell check my blog posts!