Thursday, May 12, 2005

Priorities....

The toughest part about business school is drawing a balance between activities that are pure fun (like sports, parties), activities that are fun and work (meeting with study group) and activities that are pure work (writing that term paper on "Acquiring Firms out of Chapter 11: Are Auctions More Efficient?")

While we had a talk on time management first day of business school, I have drawn up my own system of prioritizing. Anything that is pure work - I question whether it is absolutely necessary. Then I spend time looking for the most efficient way to accomplish the task at hand. Once this is done, I put off the task till the deadline. This method prevents work from expanding to fill up the time on hand!

As far as fun and work activities go, it is a critical part of school and I try to keep it to under 3 hours per day. Since the people around me are pleasant and fun to be with, the 3 hour limit is often violated, but I don't mind it.

Fun - this is the most difficult part because of the plethora of choices. Like last week, one could take a fly fishing lesson, play squash, go running, hit some balls on the golf course or just watch a movie. All these were options for Friday evening. Unfortunately, I had to go to Boston for a client meeting. But, the concert I attended later that evening (Native American music and Hawaiian music) more than compensated for it. This was my first concert at The Hop. I have now decided to keep an eye on the schedule and attend more such events. This evening, there is a company sponsored BBQ/networking in the courtyard while there are free cocktails in the main building. At the exact same time, the squash club has its weekly round robin. Tomorrow evening, we have the Argentinian BBQ. During the day, there is a work-life symposium. Afternoon, I am going climbing at Quechee with the Tuck Climbing Society. Finally, Saturday, during the day there is a fund raiser - Run for the kids. And, at night, there is Beach Ball - the biggest party of the year!! So, business school is not at all about working hard and burying your nose in books!

Last week, we had Jack Welch come down to talk about Leadership. The Q&A session was very interesting. I bought a few copies of his book, Winning and got it autographed during the signing session later. Given his reputation as Neutron Jack, CEO of the Millenium etc., I was surprised by his dimunitive stature. May be, I had read too many articles saying tall people are more likely to be leaders.

It is beautiful outside. A friend just returned after playing soccer. No such luck for me. Need to build a model for a simulation game that starts in 2 hours!!