Sunday, February 12, 2006

Mélange

Yesterday, I spent the morning at the Thetford Volunteer Fire Department and helped them inventory the items on their new rescue truck. After our work was done, the captain gave us a nice iron-on patch and took us for a spin around the town on a fire truck!! While I am all of 27 years old, sitting in a fire truck still gave me a kick. The volunteering was part of Day-of-Service organized by the Tuck Volunteers.

Winter term has been fun. I love my courses. Managerial Decision Making is an excellent course about how we make decisions and how to avoid errors in decision making. Moneyball & Into Thin Air are prescribed reading for the course. I am taking quite a few 'soft' courses. They have led me to think hard about what I am and what I stand for. Self-awareness is a vital aspect of leadership and I believe I have become a better person now.

I have also been attending lunches with visting executives. I am continuously surprised by the variety of jobs my classmates are taking up after they graduate. At one of the lunches where we were hosting a speaker for the real estate class, people around the table had signed up for jobs with Tramell Crow, Starwood Capital and Hines. Before I came to Tuck, I didn't know real estate was an industry that attracted graduates from top business schools. Across top Indian B-schools, I will be surprised if you find ANYBODY taking up a job in this sector. I am sure this will change over the next few years as the likes of Tishman Speyer, Starwood and Tramell Crow make their presence felt.

I can't believe that my Tuck experience will be over in 4 months time :( . While I am looking forward to starting off on my full-time job, I am truly sad that I will have to leave this beautiful school & town and go back to the big bad world.